Some Houdini work

11 04 2011

Here are some screen grabs of Houdini experiments I’ve worked on.

This first one shows an l-system tree I created. I’ve done a considerable amount of playing with l-systems.  This one shows the nice natural look you can achieve with only a few simple rules.

Here is sort of a cone plant,  or one of several types of flowers, achieved through a simple l-system, with leaf stamping to change the size and shape of the leaves over time.

This was just a neat test I did, by taking a basic l-system, then using a triangulate node, then a divide sop to compute the dual, creating a cellular pattern.

This is a cactus asset I created. Controls allow the user to control the number of branches, tropism, randomness, etc.

This is a coral like structure I created, by copying metaballs to an l-system, then converting it to a mesh, then performing a few SOPs to get a cellular pattern.

This is a seashell asset that i am working on, which will allow the user to create many variations, without having to reshape an input curve manually. It’s core is a logarithmic curve that the profile is swept along.

here is some of the node network:

Here are some variations of a digital asset I created, which generates a Classical building.

 

I was also working on a tool that creates a varying density mesh for creating terrains, based on an input height field. The density of points would be based on the relative slope of the height field.

Here’s an older project which uses audio to control the animation of a digital sculpture.





Chameleon and Mantis updates

16 01 2011

Updates on Chameleon and Orchid Mantis:





11 01 2011

Some initial renders of new creatures for my demo reel:





Week 5

17 10 2010

The scenes are coming along.  Chameleon/Katydid is pretty much finished. I’ve just about finished up the butterfly/spider shot. The Dragonfly shot is nearly done. I’m also working on the look development and animation for the jellyfish scene.





Studio 2 – class 5

28 09 2010

Here are some updated renders, along with a few new ones. I am ahead of schedule currently, so hopefully I will be able to complete more shots than I thought I would be able to.

Chipmunk, using Maya fur:

Katydid:





Studio 2, Go

20 09 2010

I finally settled on a concept for Studio 2. I’ll be working solo again. This time I’m focusing on texturing and shading. Over the summer I modeled an army of small creatures; insects, a few reptiles, a hummingbird, and a chipmunk, as well as some plants. While my original idea eventually became unmanageable, I reformed my idea to use the same assets.

I have always been fascinated by nature. I want to capture the beauty and subtleties in the colors, patterns, textures, and surface qualities of nature with this project. I’ve selected subjects that will offer challenges in shading: scales, fur, subsurface scattering, feathers, and iridescence. The project will take the form of a series of brief shots that show off the texture and shading work, as well as create a dramatic, but cohesive visual narrative.

My list of planned shots is currently too large to finish this quarter. I will be completing as many as possible this quarter, at the highest quality, and continuing on into next quarter with the rest. In the winter I want to focus more on plants and flowers.

Chameleon WIP

Spider WIP





Week 7: Finished!!

11 05 2010

I’ve finished the composite of the two shots. I am currently working on the breakdowns for my project, which should be finished within the next two weeks.